Ballay, Braud & Colon, PLC | Attorney At Law | Est.1980

Contact Our Louisiana Lawyers for Free Consultation for Med Mal & Personal Injury

Toll Free 800-455-5204 

Toll Free 800-455-5204 Local 504-266-0368

Put Our More Than 100 Years Of Legal Experience On Your Side

You Are Here:

  1. Home
  2.  » 
  3. Personal Injury
  4.  » Motor Vehicle Accident FAQ

Motor Vehicle Accident FAQ

Motor vehicle accidents take people by surprise, and you likely have many questions after a wreck, especially if you were injured. At Ballay, Braud & Colon, PLC, we can answer your questions, investigate your case and help you seek the full and fair compensation you deserve. Here are some frequently asked questions regarding personal injury law, insurance and how to obtain compensation after a car or truck accident.

Do I need a personal injury lawyer to handle my claim?

There is no requirement that a personal injury attorney represent you after a serious car accident, but an experienced lawyer can help alleviate your burdens by handling every aspect of your case, including the investigation and dealing with insurance companies — all while you focus on healing. Insurers and at-fault drivers will do what they can to minimize or deny compensation to you, and a skilled attorney can ensure that your rights and interests are protected every step of the way.

Who will cover my medical expenses?

Multiple parties may be responsible for covering your medical expenses. Depending on the types of policies involved, your car insurance provider, your health insurance provider and the at-fault driver’s insurance provider may be fully or partially liable for coverage. The personal injury attorneys of Ballay, Braud & Colon, PLC, can analyze the relevant insurance policies and develop a strategy for covering all of your medical expenses with no cost to you.

Should I wait to get medical treatment?

No. If you are injured after a car accident, do not wait to get appropriate medical care. If you wait, the insurance company might claim that your injury is not as bad as it truly is, and this can significantly reduce the amount of compensation you receive. Also, obtaining prompt medical treatment starts the process of documenting your injury, and this documentation can be used to build a strong claim for compensation.

Should I provide a recorded statement to the insurance company?

You should not give any kind of recorded statement to the at-fault driver’s insurance company without first talking to a lawyer. Likewise, if your own insurance policy does not require you to provide a statement, you should not provide one to your own insurer, either, without consulting with an attorney first. The questions asked by insurance adjusters and representatives are designed to minimize or deny compensation to accident victims. Even a simple statement could be used by the insurance company to reduce or deny compensation for your injury.

What are my options if I don’t have insurance?

Because Louisiana is a “no pay, no play” state, you would not be able to receive the first $15,000 of your personal injury claim if you were uninsured. Additionally, you would not be able to receive the first $25,000 of your property damage claim.

However, you could still receive compensation if the personal injury damages exceed $15,000.

Also, there are exceptions to these rules when injuries result from drunk driving, hit and run or accidents that happened during the furtherance of committing a crime.

An experienced personal injury attorney can assess your specific case and explain your available options.

Should I accept the insurance company’s initial offer?

You should not accept any offer from the insurance company until you know the full extent of your injury — and not until you have spoken with a personal injury attorney. The initial offer may seem attractive, but depending on the facts of your case, you may be entitled to much more.

Contact Ballay, Braud & Colon, PLC

For a free consultation regarding personal injury matters, contact us online or call us locally at 504-266-0368 or toll free at 800-455-5204. With offices in Belle Chasse, we represent car and truck accident victims throughout the New Orleans area.