S. Jacob Braud began his legal career as a law clerk to Judge Robert A. Pitre, Jr. of the 24th Judicial District Court for the Parish of Jefferson in 2002, assisting with all aspects of both the civil and criminal dockets.
After completion of the judicial clerkship in 2003, he began a practice focusing on litigation and the defense of general torts, premises liability, medical and legal malpractice, and worker's compensation claims. Throughout this period, he represented several public entities including local governments, school boards, sheriffs' departments, their insurers, and excess insurers throughout Louisiana and Mississippi. Also, Jacob obtained significant experience representing large private corporations such as Wal-Mart, Best Buy, and Tenet Healthcare.
As an Appellate Litigator, Jacob has briefed or argued in each Louisiana Appellate Court and briefed several matters to the Louisiana Supreme Court.
In January 2009, Jacob came to Ballay, Braud & Colon commemorating the second generation to practice at firm. In January 2013, he was elevated to the status of partner. Six years of litigation experience from a defense perspective has given Jacob a unique and invaluable skill to assess and assert the interests of injured clients. In addition to representing those injured through no fault of their own, Jacob began representing individuals and small businesses on a variety of matters such as contracts, liens, and acquisitions using his background in representing large corporations and governments to counsel clients through current and potential issues.
Additionally, Jacob expanded his legal practice by assisting the firm in its well-established real estate closing practice. Since 2009, he has produced title work and performed numerous real estate closings. In 2012, he obtained his license as a title insurance producer providing these services to numerous individuals, businesses, and financial institutions such as Hancock Bank, Iberia Bank, Mississippi River Bank, and Whitney National Bank.
On April 20, 2010, the BP Deepwater Horizon Oil Spill occurred greatly affecting many aspects of the community which Ballay, Braud & Colon has served for more than 30 years. Jacob serves as the firm's lead liaison for the Court's Settlement Program. Ballay, Braud & Colon has successfully represented a number of seafood industry claimants, businesses, individuals, and wetland landowners resulting in the recovery of tens of millions of dollars.
Out of the office, Jacob is married to Erin O'Brien Braud and is the proud father of two daughters.
Areas Of Practice
- Civil Litigation
- Admiralty & Maritime
- General Tort
- Litigation & Appeals
- Personal Injury
- Premises Liability
- Real Estate Closings and Title Insurance
- Workers' Compensation
- Wrongful Death
- Louisiana, 2002
- U.S. District Court Eastern District of Louisiana, 2005
- U.S. District Court Middle District of Louisiana, 2005
- U.S. District Court Western District of Louisiana, 2005
- Loyola University New Orleans School of Law, New Orleans, Louisiana
- J.D. - 2002
- Louisiana State University, Baton Rouge, Louisiana
- B.A. - 1999
- Major: Mass Communication
- Jesuit High School, New Orleans, Louisiana
- Honors: cum laude
- Pylant v. Jefferson Parish, State of Louisiana Dept. of Health and Hospitals, 05-148, (La. App. 5th Cir. 6/28/05), 907 So.2d 807, writ denied, 2005-1992 (La 3/17/06), 925 So.2d 537
- Mason v. Monroe City School Board and the City of Monroe, 43,595 (La. App. 2nd Cir. 9/17/08), 996 So.2d 377
- Lee v. St. James Parish Council, 03-834 (La. App. 5th Cir. 12/30/03), 864 So.2d 736
Professional Associations and Memberships
- Louisiana State Bar Association, House of Delegates representing the 25th Judicial District
- Louisiana Association of Justice
- Louisiana Association of Independent Land Title Agents
- American Association of Justice
- Jefferson Bar Association
- Plaquemines Bar Association, Education Director, 2009 to Present
- American Bar Association
Pro Bono Activities
- Christian Brothers School – New Orleans Alumni Association
- Woodlands Conservancy - Board of Directors, 2011 to 2012
- LSBA, YLD Mock Trial Judge